Home

HISTORY INDEX>Wheatland Township

Wheatland Township
Wheat in shocks, where Wheatland Twp. derived its name. [Click here to view full size picture] Wheatland Township was formed in 1835 out of the western section of Lenawee County and included what is now Pittsford and Wright Township in Hillsdale County.

In May 1837, School districts Numbers 1 - 6 were formed with log schools being erected in 3 districts.

On December 14, 1846, the First Congregational Society of Wheatland was formed. This was at the present Wheatland Church site, shown below.

The Township Hall was built in the 1850's on the present site on Waldron Road. The Hall and most records were destroyed by the Palm Sunday tornado in 1965.

Other historic sites in the Township include the Slocum House (northeast corner of Bacon & Kelso Roads.) Albert Slocum served in the State Legislature in 1864. He was the county delegate to the meeting in Jackson in 1854 that organized the Republican Party.

Another historic site is the Clement House, located at 10611 E. Bacon Road.

The Millis Homestead is on North Adams Road. This was the home of Col. John Millis, an engineer of great renown. Col. Millis built the Corregidor Forts and engineered the lighting for the Statue of Liberty in 1885.

Wheatland Township is also the source of 4 Michigan Rivers: the St. Joseph of Lake Michigan, the Kalamazoo, the Grand Rapids and the Raisin Rivers, as well as the St. Joseph of the Maumee (aka Bean Creek) that flows to the Ohio River.

Click here to view full size picture
The Highest Point of Hillsdale County, (1255' elevation) is located at the corner of Wood and Kelso Roads in Wheatland Township.
Wheatland Church [Click here to view full size picture]
Wheatland Church is the site of the original First Congregational Society of Wheatland, formed in 1846. The tallest tower shown in this picture was built as part of the original church.

Early Settlers:
Robert Cox 1835
Zebulon Williams 1836
James Wescott 1833-1838
Albert Slocum 1842
Lyman Pease 1836

Roads That Border Wheatland Township are:
Addison on the North
Culbert on the South
Meridian on the East
Pittsford on the West
Agriculture
Business & Industry
Economic Development
Hometown Partnerships
Community Services
Cultural Resources
Education
History
Natural Resources & Recreation
Test Area
Information
Planning & Zoning in Michigan
Tools & Techniques
Laws & References